Thursday, May 22, 2014

Hello, when did life happen?

I am sitting here in the slow hours of my night shift, composing a presentation about my role as a social worker for a middle school career day. I eagerly accepted this invitation after my friend asked me to share with her students who I am as a social worker and what I do in the Emergency Department. As I'm compiling my perspective of my job and the duties I have on a shift, it hit me like a freaking ton of bricks: I am an adult and this is my career. WHOA. When the heck did that happen? I adore my job. I love helping the patients and families that I do. I am in my picture perfect career right now, however- it's a little bizarre to realize that a year in, this is real life. For six loooong years, I grudged my way through college and then graduate school with the ambition to be a social worker. "What do you do?" "Oh I'm getting my MSW at OSU." I found some sort of prestige and satisfaction out of saying that I was getting my masters degree while knowing I didn't have to be serious about anything. I've always been very future oriented in every aspect of my life, but especially with my career. Everything was always down the road, in a few steps, and I always had 'one more thing' to do until I got there. Well, here I am. Is this everything I dream it would be? Am I making tons of money? Am I a grown up? Oh hell no. Truth be told, I don't feel any more grown up now than I did my first year of grad school. Part of me even still feels like I'm still in school, that there's another step to complete before I am a career oriented woman. I'm not saying I'm unhappy with my job, because believe me- I am blessed as can be for my employment, but I can't help but take a step back and just ponder the stages. When do you ever get there? I'm suppose to be here, aren't I? While I recognize and appreciate how I have grown leaps and bounds as a person over the past several years, I can't help but get stuck in that future oriented mindset. What's next? Where am I going from here? I always thought that when I finally had that "MSW" or "LSW" after my name, I would feel like I finally made it. Now I'm there- I have those credentials, but I still don't feel like a grown up. Maybe my fault is measuring adulthood by a career. Or maybe it's being so future oriented that I can't stop and enjoy the now. Perhaps I'm not pushing myself to my full potential? Whatever it is, it's freaking weird and unsettling in a sense. Do you ever truly get there? I'm not sure, but I'm willing to find out. As I rack my brain for answers to questions, I realize that I don't have the answers. I don't know if there is something else out there for me. I don't know if being an ER social worker is God's plan for me, I don't know what else I would even want to do. I don't know the answers to those things and so many more questions. I guess what it comes down to, is living in the moment. Being happy with what you are given and embracing the blessing. What do I do? I am never bored, I am always frustrated, I am crunched for time, people bless me and curse me, I cry a lot, I curse God a lot, I see life begin & end, I see resounding triumphs and devastating failures and I am continually amazed at people's capacity for endurance.

No comments:

Post a Comment