Friday, January 25, 2013

catch the kindness

Ohhh the kindness of strangers this week has been an absolute wonderful blessing! I have had multiple occasion where people I don't know have done such wonderful deeds, brightened my day and brought a smile to my face.

Just to share a couple stories, I had to have some work done to my car (which is never a fun time). Thankfully- my house, the shop, and work are all within about a mile and a half of one another. So after my shift a few days ago, I planned to take the hospital shuttle to the employee parking lot that was closest to the shop to pick my car up. The man driving the shuttle is notoriously known for his humor and positive spirits, I was so delighted to have him that day. He recognized that I normally do not park in the lot I requested and asked why I parked there today. I explained to him what my plan was and he immediately responded with, "Ohh no- its getting dark out, you don't need to be walking, I will drop you off at the shop!" Oh how he made my day- not only was it a chilly Ohio day, but walking in downtown Columbus always should cause some hesitation. This kind man recognized those factors and without hesitation, offered to make this situation easier for me. 

Last weekend I decided I needed some chipotle... and then made this choice again on Wednesday... Perhaps a little burrito bowl over kill, BUT it's just so easy to stop on the way home! Anyhow- this older woman who works the afternoon shift, recognized me and remembered my custom bowl (which I attempt to make a healthy and low-cal as possible). And if you didn't know- chipotle's website has a calorie counter which is so super. Her and I shared a giggle over my love of guacamole as she was so wonderful in serving me. So despite my slight embarrassment I'm delighted that she remembered everything I like in my custom bowl. When I got home, I quickly traded my heels for my fuzzy and warm blue rubber duck slippers and plopped down on the couch with my food. After turning on gossip girl I reached in the bag to pull out my bowl and to my surprise there was not one, but two cups of guacamole! I literally squealed with giddy excitement. What a sweet woman! 

These surprising acts of kindness made my week (which wasn't bad) better. It got me thinking, if those little things can bring me that much joy when I am having a great week, how much of an impact can we have when someone is having a bad week? What a wonderful opportunity we have- to use what tools we already have in front of us to be a blessing to someone else. 

You never know what someone is going through or what kind of day they are having- show them the love you would want to be shown on your bad day. 

Xoxo!

No comments:

Post a Comment