Thursday, January 17, 2013

Why I am taking a break from Facebook

I've been asked by many friends and family members, "did you get rid of your facebook?!" The answer to this seemingly baffling questions is, YES. While an explanation to this social media break is hard to phathom, I want to let you know what brought me to this decision.

My "new years resolution" started in November after what I am classifying as a "life changing event" (more on this to come in time). This was my wake up call and time to look at my life to examine if I was heading the direction I wanted to. With this evaluation came a focus on social media- was I using this to benefit God or to benefit myself? The answer was clear, Facebook had become three things for me: 1.) An aid in judgement. 2.) Gossip and 3.) to show off.

As God's humble grace showed its self to me, I was able to further dive into this and look closer at how this was destroying me. Facebook "creeping" as society has defined it was cause in developing judgements of others with zero justification. God clearly tells us that judgement is wrong and a sin. He reminded me that "as you bring judgment, as you surely must, remember mercy." (Habakkuk 3:1) Then this got me thinking about mercy. What is mercy? Mercy is kindness and compassion that we as humans show to an enemy or someone who has done us wrong. Okay- so I am seeing people on facebook, my "friends" what wrong have they done me? Why am I accusing them of things that are untrue? God shows grace and mercy to everyone, and if I want to model my behavior after Him, I need to show grace and mercy by not judging others, nor giving myself the trap to do so (Facebook). "Talk and act like a person expecting to be judged by the Rule that sets us free. For if you refuse to act kindly, you can hardly expect to be treated kindly. Kind mercy wins over harsh judgment every time. Faith in Action" -James 2:13

There are other times when facebook was the sole cause of gossip in conversation. Gossip can be dangerous. Gossip can cause unwanted feelings (like judgement) and cause our hearts to become angry, which destroyed the kidness I wanted to have in my heart. Gossip can get us into trouble with all of the "he said/she said" and "did you see what she posted on facebook?!" useless banter. Proverbs 12: 13 warns us that "the gossip of bad people gets them in trouble, the conversation of good keeps them out of it." The words that come out of our mouths reflect what is in our hearts. Again in Proverbs 13 God gives us a choice: "Words kill, words give life; either they're poison or fruit- you choose." God is literally giving us a choice- do we want to bring others up with our words, or do we want to use them as poison? Toxic words, that I found to be used in gossip, can be so dangerous- both heard and spoken. So- I have chosen to use my words as fruit and seperate myself from the toxic words of gossip.

And so finally I come to my last reason: to show off. I find it less ironic that this is last on my list here... God has been showing me his grace in helping me set my selfish behavior aside, and the choice to eliminate Facebook from my life has been His humble way of making this a dramatic realization known to me. God directs us as followers of him to turn from our selfish ways. He tells us in Psalms 119:36 to "turn your heart toward your statutes and not toward selfish gain" WOW. Think about that- what on earth am I trying to gain from proclaiming to my 1,200 facebook friends that I am having a terrible day or that I am going on vacation. Publicity? No- this selfish ambition was allowing me to put value on my own calling rather then God's calling for me. A selfish heart insults others- this is so blatently true. God is doing some wonderful "soul detoxing" in me, and letting go of selfish behavior has served as the cornerstone in multiple instances.

With these reminders on a post it note on my lap top- I decided that deactivating my facebook would be a fast. During the time that I would find myself scrolling through my newsfeed, I prayed that God would give me ambition to fill that time with something that is in His plan, not mine. This answer was obvious- dive into his word! Oh my goodness, what a breath of fresh air this realization was! And what a joy my heart has felt over this now 17 day fasting journey. I have been filled with so much humbleness, wisdom, and grace. God has truly rewarded my heart.

To anyone considering "giving up facebook"- I would encourage you to look deep down at your motives. Is your primary reason because you are sick of the drama or tired of seeing things that make your heart bitter? Or is it to give that time to God? Being a 24-year old female, social media was (and still very much is) a part of the "norm". By no means am I saying that Facebook is terrible, no way! I LOVE social media, but my heart was using it for bad, not good. How are you using social media, how is it affecting your relationships, your heart, and your thoughts? Above all- pray about fasting from social media, you may be pleasantly surprised at wisdom God so desperatly wants to give you.

Xoxo!

No comments:

Post a Comment